The explosion of green smoothies and juices is everywhere. Within the last couple months, 3 new juice places have opened within one mile of my house and grocery stores and Starbucks are now selling pre-packaged juices. Are they as good for you as they seem and what are the differences? My friend, Elizabeth Girouard, a Certified Holistic Health Coach, wrote an excellent article that answers many of these questions and explains why we all should give green drinks a try. We have posted a portion of her article below. Read on to learn more.
I am often asked: What’s the rage with Green Smoothies?
This is a great question. Many of my Healthy Eating Challengers still start off their days with a Green Smoothie – and here are a few reasons why!
Green Smoothies are:
1) an easy way to get in more than 3 servings of vegetables
2) easier to digest since the blender starts the digestion process for you by breaking down the veggies’ cell walls. This means your body can quickly assimilate the nutrients.
3) a great vitamin, mineral, phytonutrient and anti-oxidant infusion to start the day.
4) a nutrient dense powerhouse that can improve your immunity to colds, flus and other potential bugs.
5) able to help alkalize our bodies which reduces our susceptibility to disease
6) filled with dark leafy greens that have a lot of chlorophyll which delivers oxygen to our bodies that can increase our energy levels.
7) able to help diminish cravings and reduce hunger as it is providing nourishment to your body.
8) able to help you lose weight as you are adding in more vegetables and crowding out the less beneficial foods for your body!
Other related questions that I often receive are:
What’s the difference between juicing and blending (smoothies)? And, is one better than the other? And, does juicing increase my blood sugar?
Read the rest of the article at: http://tinyurl.com/pwr8w5h
To leave a comment on this article or any other blog entry, please fill in the “Leave a Comment” box under each blog entry on our site: Heels to Laces