I have referred to my daughter’s cooking in past blogs and I can’t resist sharing her latest treat with everyone. These granola bars with blueberries (or any berry of your choice) and yogurt drizzle are not only healthy, but incredibly delicious. They are a good source of protein, omega-3, biotin, vitamin E, magnesium, iron, vitamin C, vitamin K and fiber. I never considered making my own granola bars until I tasted these and I have a feeling you will agree.
There is only one caveat – resist the urge to eat the entire batch at once. We wrap them individually and keep them in the refrigerator so we don’t finish them off as fast as we make them.
Note – the yogurt drizzle contains sugar (the only non-healthy item in the entire recipe) so you can choose to skip it altogether as we sometimes do, or just lightly drizzle the bars with it. As an additional note, the directions below will make much more yogurt coating than we have ever needed or used.
Ingredients for the bars:
Ingredients for the yogurt drizzle:
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon gelatin
1/4 cup greek yogurt
1 tablespoon honey
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Skip this step if using dried blueberries. Roast fresh blueberries in 350 degree over for 30 minutes or until they pop and shrink. Best to coat baking sheet with parchment paper – then blueberries won’t stick
- In a large bowl combine the oats, rice krispies, almonds, chia seeds and salt.
- Combine almond or peanut butter with honey and microwave for about 40 seconds or until mixture is pourable
- Add vanilla to warm honey mixture
- Add honey mixture to the dry oat mixture and combine – it will be thick!
- Add dried blueberries
- Coat a 9 X 13 pan with parchment paper and pour mixture into pan and press down evenly and until tightly packed
- Place in freezer for one hour, then cut into bars
- Bars should be stored in refrigerator to keep fresh and hold their shape better.
Directions for yogurt drizzle:
- Combine water, vanilla and then whisk gelatin in and let thicken for about 5 minutes
- In another bowl, combine yogurt, honey and salt
- Microwave yogurt mixture for 15 seconds, mix and repeat till warm, but do not let it boil
- Add gelatin mixture to yogurt mixture and whisk together
- Add in powdered sugar and whisk until thick, but pourable
- Drizzle bars with the yogurt
- The bars will be sticky now – we usually just wrap them (one or two together) with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for later eating. The yogurt will harden in the refrigerator.
To leave a comment on this article or any other blog entry, please fill in the “Leave a Comment” box under each blog entry on our site: Heels to Laces